Content marketing today involves balancing the use of websites, blogs, social networks, and messaging applications to create a consistent brand presence, attract visitors and convert leads into sales. In order to remain relevant and to ensure that you obtain a reasonable return on investment (ROI) for your efforts, it is important to pay attention to your key parameters.
In addition to your internal figures, you can also learn a lot from the comparative analysis of your content marketing plans against industry competitors.
There are many content marketing statistics that can help you identify the most effective content marketing tactics in your industry and compete by creating content that your audience wants to consume. To help you with your research, we have compiled this comprehensive list of 50 of the best content marketing statistics we have found. They are organized according to the following subjects, and each statistic is accompanied by a comment to help you find new ideas for your marketing campaigns.
B2B content marketing statistics
1. The production of engaging content was chosen as the main marketing challenge for B2B content. Today, many companies are able to generate a constant volume of optimized content through the analysis of search engine results and other tools. But creating pieces that are really engaging is the real hallmark of a successful content marketing plan. It is difficult to generate useful, memorable, and easy-to-understand content, but that is why it is a crucial differentiating factor for those who can.
2. 69% of successful B2B organizations in the field of content marketing have a documented strategy. Adequate planning will make any content marketing campaign more effective. The fact that successful companies have documented content strategies should not be a surprise, but what matters most is to create one that is effective. Particularly for B2B marketing efforts, your plan must be complete and ensure that your content is adapted to the needs of each single business segment.
3. 47% of buyers will view three to five content items before engaging with a sales representative. We all know that the self-service economy is upon us, and this statistic reminds us of the importance of your B2B or B2C content. When a person consults your offers, their initial opinion of your brand will be strongly influenced by what they see. It is also likely that he will see several elements of content. Make sure you have enough material to keep them engaged.
4. Only 18% of content marketing specialists believe that their business has acquired the right marketing management technology to succeed. The fact that this figure is so low is a true indicator of the difficulty software has in meeting unique needs. No system alone is perfect, and both requirements and capacities are constantly evolving. In order to remain competitive, it is important that content marketing teams remain informed of the latest technology offers.
5. 92% of companies consider content to be an important business asset. Almost all of the companies interviewed by the Content Marketing Institute indicated that content is an important asset. As a known generator of new prospects and regular customers, the content can be easily shared with your audience. This is particularly true for B2B customers who are frequently looking for new technologies and good practices that can improve their operations.
6. B2B organizations spend an average of 26% of their total marketing budget on content marketing. This is an interesting point of reference for aligning your own marketing efforts. Spending a quarter of a global content marketing budget is probably routine for many companies, but for some, they can spend a lot more or less. Although each company has its own budget allocation and unique needs, this is a good opportunity to ask your team what they might overlook.
7. The most popular type of content put forward by 97% of B2B buyers is prescriptive in nature and explains how to succeed. Most people looking for content are looking for an answer to a question or to learn how to do something new. This is the case for each of us, whom we sought as a consumer or professional. In the B2B world, one of the best ways to exercise authority is to create content that shares a deep understanding of the object.
8. 63% of content marketing specialists consider references as their main source of B2B marketing leads. Most marketing specialists can appreciate the fact that loyal customers are among the most valuable assets a brand can have. References are particularly useful for B2B companies because these companies often face fierce competition in their niche. The most knowledgeable content marketing specialists find innovative ways to get in touch with their existing customers to generate new prospects and can even create an official SEO program.
9. The three most valuable types of content for B2B businesses are blog articles or tickets, white papers, and videos. Respondents interviewed for a survey indicated that these 3 types of content were most effective in passing the prospects through the sales funnel. Generating buyers from your first contacts is the ultimate goal of any B2B marketing effort, and it is useful to know which types of content are most effective. Always try to adapt your content to the preferences and expectations of your customers.
10. B2B companies that are successful in content marketing use an average of 5 different formats. In addition to this statistic, successful B2B companies in content marketing use an average of five different formats, this report also noted that the least successful companies distribute content using four formats. This really highlights the effectiveness of expanding your omnichannel communication plan. Distributing content in a single additional format can make the difference between the success and failure of your content marketing campaigns.
B2C content marketing statistics
11. 40% of specialists in the marketing of B2C content do not carry out any comparative analysis of competition or do so only once a year. Even if it is never good to be obsessed with what your competitors are doing, it is important to stay close enough to discover any potentially major disruptor. Competitive positioning is also important for content, as there is always a risk of being overwhelmed by research results. You can get valuable information by examining the performance of your competitors and developing new content marketing strategies.
12. The best B2C marketing specialists devote 40% of their marketing budget to content marketing, while the average is 26%. This statistic shows an important commitment to content marketing made by successful companies. It is clear from these data that content marketing should be a top priority in any B2C marketing effort, with an appropriate budget allocation and management support.
13. 68% of marketing specialists distribute their content using paid resources. Content distribution is never an easy task, especially when trying to reach an audience on multiple web and social platforms. The popularity of paid content distribution programs is a clear response to these challenges. In many cases, the use of content distribution paying for options such as sponsored social media posts can significantly improve your reach.
14. Only one in three B2C marketers has a documented content strategy. Without putting in place an adequate plan Content marketing can quickly lose its effectiveness. Some of the best tactics are to redirect content and engage with customers on a number of different platforms. It is difficult to achieve this without a comprehensive content marketing strategy that your entire team can understand and support.
15. Compared to B2B companies, B2C content is shared almost ten times more often. It is an incredible statistic that really underscores the confidence that consumers place in the recommendations of other people they know. We are often led to share new content related to products and brands that we already know or that we want to try. This high frequency of sharing also represents a real opportunity for content marketing specialists in the B2C space and an excellent reason to share more content.
16. 82% of B2C marketing specialists strive to create content that works for customers. Achieving a high degree of customer loyalty means that your business meets or even exceeds customer expectations. Your content represents your brand in several ways, and you can certainly strengthen your loyalty by publishing engaging documents. If your customers find your content interesting, they will be more inclined to share it with others and to return to your website or other channels to obtain additional information.
17. The creation of an effective content strategy was underlined as the top priority of professional bloggers. Blogs remain one of the best ways to get in touch with people and develop an audience. When planning your content strategy If you need information about your writing program, target audience, and distribution channels, it is important to document it. In many ways, your strategy serves as a roadmap when things go wrong and allows your entire team to stay organized.
18. Companies that run a blog receive 55% more traffic and 97% more incoming links from other websites. It is well known that with exceptional content and good SEO, classified blog articles can generate a ton of traffic. Static pages are an important part of any corporate website, but a blog is where you can actually get in touch with customers and potential business partners. These statistics really reinforce the fact that blogs are a real catalyst for increasing traffic at your site.
19. Over 409 million people access 20 billion WordPress pages each month. This statistic transmits a lot of information in a single set of figures. It is clear that each person visits a number of different pages, that the overall traffic level is very high and that WordPress is certainly one of the main blogging platforms. Much of this traffic is directed to blogging articles, and the more pages and messages your website contains the more likely you are to be noticed by those who are browsing for new content.
20. Blog tickets with a title of 6 to 13 words are the most likely to be clicked. Although this statistic gives a wide enough range for the optimal number of words in the title of a blog. If you need a communication tool, it offers clear limits from which you can create your titles. The title of a blog article should be catchy, not too long or too short to distract from similar items. The key point here is to stick to titles that contain a reasonable number of words and focus on your message.
21. There are more than 4 million blog articles written each day. This figure reminds us that the amount of blog content created every day. For most marketing specialists, this represents an opportunity, but it also highlights the fact that there is a lot of competition. The best way to stand out is to create content that engages readers and is informative, in a way that adds value to the business or to someone’s life.
22. When measuring blog performance, only 32% of bloggers use analysis for all of their articles. Data is such an important part of blog management, and there are many useful plugins and tools that make the process easier. It is possible to follow key performance indicators such as the number of page views and unique visitors, and you can also optimize the page SEO by examining the problems reported in your articles. Detailed analysis can really help any corporate blogger to identify what is working well and also the areas where improvements may be needed.
23. Just over half of bloggers (58%) said they collaborated with other websites and influencers for 10-50% of their messages. Collaboration with other influential figures can really improve the authority and confidence of your website. It is essential to engage with other opinion leaders in your space and find ways to share ideas and content where appropriate. Each new position gives employees the opportunity to share ideas with other audiences and attract new businesses.
24. Contents over 3,000 words are more likely to be shared than short content. Short messages are a useful way to answer basic customer questions and attract new visitors to your website, but it is the long content that your audience will probably find most useful. The inclusion of additional media, such as infographics or videos, may give internet users more reason to share your messages with others.
25. Marketing specialists who prioritize blogs as part of their campaigns are 13 times more likely to get a positive return on investment. This statistic shows how useful a blog can be for your business. Blog articles are a valuable point of reference for all your other articles and communications on social networks, regardless of the channel used. Since it is easy to publish your content on several different platforms, you can increase your return on investment by Exploiting your blog articles through multiple distribution platforms and by bringing more traffic to your website.
26. On average, it takes 3 hours and 15 minutes to write a blog article. This statistic includes all types of blog tickets, so it’s not a good indicator of the time it takes to write your content. What she shows us is how long people spend planning, writing, editing, and distributing the content of their blog. Given the importance of the time required, it is essential to develop a clear blog calendar and to select topics that are very relevant to your target customers.
27. The inclusion of a relevant image in your blog ticket increases the number of views by 94% compared to an imageless ticket. Including an image with your blog articles is not difficult and can almost double the number of notices they receive. With so many messages to scroll, people are often attracted to an image before they start reading the title or text of a message. Always format your images correctly to optimize the loading time of the pages and to make your content easy to consult on mobile devices.
Marketing statistics by email
28. E-mail remains the most popular format for content sharing, with 94% of buyers using it. Despite a large number of social network platforms and messaging applications, many people still prefer to use e-mail for the majority of their important communications. When sharing media, an email is a logical choice because the recipient can read the message whenever they want and does not feel compelled to respond to an SMS. This highlights that your content should be compatible with email and easy to share.
29. The most popular marketing tactic in 2019, used by 84% of respondents, is email marketing. E-mail marketing is popular with many companies because it allows you to share your content directly with a relevant audience that has already developed a certain level of confidence in your brand. Creating a mailing list is often mentioned as one of the best things you can do to consolidate your long-term business prospects. You can also use your email marketing messages to highlight recent positions, promotions, and calls for action.
30. The two most popular platforms for reading email are iPhone mail and Gmail. This statistic is instructive because it highlights the popularity of both mobile readers and long-term electronic messaging platforms like Gmail. As many of your customers can view the content of your emails on a smartphone. If you have a website, you must always optimize your site and its content so that it is ready for use by mobiles. It is also a good idea to test the readability of the contents of your email on several devices and platforms to identify any compatibility issues that may arise.
31. Segmented email campaigns have an opening rate 14.31% higher than those that are not segmented. Segmenting your email campaigns helps increase the relevance of the content you share. Simply sending a general email to a giant contact list can be helpful, but it will likely be overlooked by a large number of recipients. After segmenting your email list, you can then send specific messages to each particular group and increase your opening rate and engagement.
32. 58% of marketing specialists believe that the return on investment of their e-mail campaigns will continue to increase in the future. This clearly indicates how the majority of companies have invested in e-mail marketing. Most consumers are so used to sending and receiving e-mail today that e-mail is likely to remain a standard form of communication for many years to come. Investing in new technologies and tools to streamline your email marketing efforts could be an attractive option for your business’s long-term growth.
Mobile & social networks Statistics on content marketing
33. One in five smartphone users access their device every 5 minutes. This statistic applies to people around the world and really highlights the frequency of use of our phones. It also reminds us of how often many users take their device and drop it off again. Attention is very limited, and as a content marketing specialist, you must make a very strong impression immediately, otherwise, your equipment will be quickly neglected.
34. Instagram standard messages and Instagram stories are considered to be the most effective content format for influence marketing. In a survey, more than three-quarters of respondents chose Instagram, a leading influence platform. The appeal of Instagram is partly due to its very visual format, dominated by short-lived images and videos. Content marketing specialists who work with influencers should certainly take advantage of the wide audience and benefits of Instagram.
35. Almost 7 in 10 adults in the United States (69%) use the Facebook platform. Among them, almost three-quarters (74%) use the popular social networks network at least once a day. For marketing specialists who target an adult population, Facebook is one of the best places to advertise and publish content. Given the large number of people who access the platform to stay in touch with their friends and family, you may consider publishing content that has a more personal angle. Using images of people in your Facebook content and sharing quotes and testimonies are just two of the many ways to do it.
36. In the United States, approximately two out of three young people aged 18 to 29 use Instagram and Snapchat. Just as Facebook is popular with an older audience, Instagram and Snapchat are most certainly the social platforms for the younger generation. Brands aimed at a younger audience may be able to generate a high level of commitment by targeting these two platforms for their marketing efforts. Product placements, approvals, and influence marketing are all potential tactics to use for your content.
37. Advertisements on Twitter benefit from 26% more viewing time compared to the content published on other social media channels. Advertising can be used at the same time as content marketing to give additional impetus to the engagement. Given the increased viewing time of advertisements on Twitter compared to other platforms, it may be interesting to target part of your advertising investments. Twitter is also a useful forum for sharing news from the company, product updates, and other short content.
38. In the United States, video content is most often viewed from smartphones. With the increase in mobile internet rates and more powerful devices, it is now easy to watch high-quality videos wherever you are. People tend to do most of their navigation from their phones. Users can access the Internet through dedicated applications or a mobile Internet browser. Wherever you publish your content, make sure that the video vignettes and the graphics or texts they contain are easily visible on a smaller screen.
39. 10% of the American population can only be reached through their smartphone. Whereas currently only one-tenth of the total American population This figure is still striking and should continue to increase. For young people in particular, the smartphone represents their entire social universe, and it is the only way they consume information from other sources. For advertisers and content marketing specialists, it is a clear reminder that certain priorities must be established for the mobile.
Statistics on video content marketing
40. Almost half of marketing specialists plan to add YouTube to their content distribution plans. YouTube continues to develop and becomes a dominant platform for video content of all forms. With easy access to videos covering almost all subjects, users often go to YouTube to view tutorials and learn more about new products and services. A content marketing plan that includes video content of all kinds must absolutely consider YouTube as a crucial distribution channel.
41. 91% of marketing specialists say they are satisfied with the return on investment of their video marketing efforts on social networks. This figure is close to consensus and really shows us the effectiveness of social network platforms for the distribution of video content. Marketing specialists should consider an omnichannel distribution plan and may also want to add additional platforms that are popular with certain segments of their clientele. Creating highly personalized and relevant video content is more important than ever.
42. 90% of YouTube users say they have found new products and services using the platform. Video content is a great way to explain ideas and create an immersive viewing experience. The “self-play” nature of YouTube leads visitors to far more content than their initial search and is a valuable opportunity for brands to share video content. Content marketing specialists can take advantage of this dynamic by optimizing the SEO of their video content for each platform where it is distributed.
43. 84% of marketing specialists consider that video content contributes to increasing traffic on their websites. As mentioned in some previous statistics, video content and platforms such as YouTube are discovery tools widely used for consumers. After receiving video content from a friend or finding it for themselves, they may be interested in receiving more information. Always provide easy-to-click links to your website and social media on all of the video content you publish.
44. Social media messages that include a video are almost 50% likely to be viewed. Static images and text often look boring when presented next to dynamic video content. The technology has made it possible to view video content with a very small lag in most cases, with excellent support on social platforms. Thanks to the many potential channels suitable for video. It should be integrated into new content whenever possible.
45. 40% of companies report that video has the best return on investment among all types of content. Sometimes it may seem that the cost and time spent on video content is much higher than that of other forms of content. But this statistic reminds us that return on investment is really the most important measure to decide the interest of a project. With almost half of the companies that highlight video content as having the best performance, it might be a good idea to invest more time and effort in this area.
46. 80% of consumers say they prefer to watch live video content rather than read a blog article. The use of live video is increasingly popular on all websites and social networks . Viewers appreciate the opportunity to ask questions in real time, which is possible on many platforms such as YouTube and Facebook. Organizing live events with advertising gifts and other promotions is an effective way to promote the launch of new products and make the most of live video.
47. Almost 60% of marketing specialists use live video to promote their products and services. This figure follows on from previous statistics on viewer preferences for live video content. More than half of marketing specialists already use live video during their campaigns to better connect with customers. If live video is not part of your current content marketing plans, now is the perfect time to try it and see if it can add value and generate more business.
48. Shorter videos of less than 90 seconds have an average retention rate of 53%. The retention rate measures the share of your video content that a viewer watches before moving on. This statistic demonstrates this, on average, half of your short video content will be viewed. To extend this deadline, marketing specialists must include the most important information in the first half and try to make the video as attractive as possible with an expected gain by the end of the clip.
49. Over 25% of global users regularly visit YouTube to find the latest news. As we have already mentioned, YouTube is an ideal place to display your company news and information on new products and offers. You should also be careful how any coverage you receive from other sources will be used on this platform. Whenever you receive from the press, you can also take advantage of YouTube appearances by proactively monitoring user comments and sharing your business links.
50. On average, internet users spend almost 7 hours a week watching digital video content. Seven hours is a long time, and there are potentially hundreds of clips viewed by each person in a whole week. The possibilities available to you as a content marketing specialist are vast, and video content can certainly be an essential component of your overall strategy. Reusing your digital video content to create blog articles, social media tickets and other forms of content can help you expand your reach while being ingenious.
Measuring the results of your content marketing efforts is crucial to your success. Install the Google Analytics Dashboard for WordPress to obtain valuable information such as the page views of your website, pages per session, the 5 main sources of traffic that send visitors to your website, and the 10 most viewed pages – all without leaving your WordPress dashboard.